April 20 is a special day under the Cannabis culture and many are still unaware of the real history of 420 (four-twenty). Often people are led to believe details which are actually myths about its origins and meaning.
So for today, in celebration of 420, we give you how the term 420 actually got started as well as other facts and interesting myths about this highly auspicious day for hippies.
The term 420 has been traced to date back to 1971, in San Rafael High School, where a group who called themselves the Waldos would meet up to get high on some pot. With the purpose of communicating secretly amongst themselves, they developed the code 420 to alert others that they will meet at 4:20 PM for a joint session.
The term caught on to others and is now a true pop culture jargon.
Popular MYTHS about 420:
- Weed has 420 chemicals – wrong, it’s only around 315
- 4/20 is police code for Maryjane – not true
- In Holland, 4-20 is “tea time” for smokers: also not true
Interesting FACTS about April 20:
- Adolf Hitler was born on April 20, 1889
- Australian supermodel, Miranda Kerr was born on April 20, 1983
- The Columbine High School shootings occurred in April 20, 1999